Summer heat might have you pausing at the mention of pumpkin, but pumpkin is a healthy and delicious treat for your pup all year long.
Packed with vitamins A and C, pumpkin is a low-fat snack that can help your dog feel fuller and assist with digestion. For this cool delight, we’ve put pumpkin with yogurt for a probiotic– and calcium-packed pairing that will have your dog feeling good inside and out.
For a perfect touch, we found these adorable, silicone popsicle molds on Amazon! But you can use anything from a popsicle mold to an ice cube tray or paper cup to make these treats in the perfect size for your pup.
What you’ll need:
- 1 cup plain, puréed pumpkin
- 1½ cups plain, unsweetened yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Popsicle molds
- Mix together pumpkin, yogurt and honey.
- Place into popsicle molds, and add sticks if desired (make sure to supervise if sticks are involved). You can also use dog bones or treats, which make fun, edible sticks.
- Freeze until solid (about 6 hours).
- If your popsicles get stuck, dip mold into warm water to loosen.
As with any treat, have fun with these! Add in your dog’s favorite fruit or veggies (sometimes I sprinkle them with frozen peas), or even swirl in peanut butter! You can add more or less pumpkin depending on how it affects your dog’s tummy.
Make sure to choose ingredients without sugar or sugar substitutes (like xylitol) which can be dangerous for your pet.
Thumbnail: ©Samantha Meyers
About the author
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies at her blog Sugared AndIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and @Quinnstadoodle.
Editor’s note: This article appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!