My favorite part of the holidays is baking and sharing holiday treats. And what could be better than baking something special for your best four-legged friend? Nothing says happy howl-idays like sweet, minty puppy breath. These tasty treats are sure to get your pup into the spirit with a fresh twist.
What you’ll need:
- 3 cups flour
- 1/2 cup powdered milk
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 egg
- 3-4 teaspoons beet juice for natural food coloring
- 1/2 teaspoon peppermint oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Mix flour, powdered milk, baking powder, broth, peppermint and egg in a bowl until combined.
- Divide dough in half. Add beet juice to one half of the dough, and knead until combined. (Wear gloves if you don’t want to get caught red handed!)
- Roll each color of dough into balls and then into worms. (If dough is too soft, chill until it’s firm enough to roll and shape).
- Twist the two colors together and bend into a candy cane shape.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Cool and enjoy!
*Store in refrigerator for one to two weeks or in the freezer for up to six months.
About the author
Sam is a dog lover, writer, baker, crafter and Instagrammer. When she’s not writing, she’s decorating cookies at her blog SugaredAndIced.com or Instagramming her dogs @FrenchHuggs_ and
Editor’s note: This article first appeared in Dogster magazine. Have you seen the new Dogster print magazine in stores? Or in the waiting room of your vet’s office? Subscribe now to get Dogster magazine delivered straight to you!
Read more about dogs and the holidays on Dogster.com: